What is a Dark Days Challenge?

The Dark Days Challenge was started by Laura McCrea at the Urban Hennery.
Unfortunately I couldn't get into her challenge, so I started my own blog.
The challenge is to try to eat one meal per week consisting of 100% locally produced food. I'm choosing to define "locally produced" as Washington State.
In my recipes I tell you the origin of the ingredients I use.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Week Four of Dark Days Challenge

12/28/10
This was a mid-week meal, so I enlisted Dean’s help with it. He loves oysters, so I convinced him to go to the Waterfront Fish Market (where I have never purchased anything that was anything but excellent!) and get a jar of Washington oysters – we’re too lazy to shuck them, and it’s so convenient to get them in the jar. He even cooked them for me!

Menu
Fried oysters (Willapa Bay, by way of the Waterfront Fish Market, Everett)
Baked potato (Washington), topped with butter (Golden Glen Creamery, Bow)
Corn (organic, our garden by way of the freezer)
Green Beans (organic, our garden by way of the freezer)

Fried Oysters
Serves 2
Make bread crumbs from local whole wheat bread by pulverizing 2 pieces toasted bread in the food processor or blender, place in a small bowl
1 egg, beaten, in a small bowl
1 jar oysters, drained and patted dry
oil for frying

Dip oyster into beaten egg and then roll in bread crumbs, set aside on a plate until you have breaded all of them. Heat oil over medium heat, and fry oysters about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.

Not local:
Oil, salt, pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment