What is a Dark Days Challenge?

The Dark Days Challenge was started by Laura McCrea at the Urban Hennery.
Unfortunately I couldn't get into her challenge, so I started my own blog.
The challenge is to try to eat one meal per week consisting of 100% locally produced food. I'm choosing to define "locally produced" as Washington State.
In my recipes I tell you the origin of the ingredients I use.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Week Six of Dark Days Challenge

1/8/10
It’s January. Not much left in the garden. Each year I set a goal to increase my winter gardening – but I have a long way to go before I would consider myself a successful winter gardener. This year I do have a few carrots and leeks and occasionally I can pick enough brussel sprouts for dinner for two. The chard and greens I put into our new greenhouse haven’t made it. It’s been very cold this winter. I am more hopeful for next winter. Last year 6 kale plants supplied all the kale I wanted all winter long. But this winter my few plants are only supplying a little kale, and I’m disappointed! I know I can buy it, but when you have had the experience of fresh tender kale, it’s hard to imagine it could be as good when purchased.

Last week we decided to order the NW Box (organic and local) from Klesick Farms http://www.klesickfamilyfarm.com/main/. This is a CSA, community supported agriculture. We got our first box this past week and I’m pleased! Great cabbage, leeks, potatoes and mushrooms. They also included a recipe for Potato Leek Cabbage Colcannon soup which I made for our weekly local dinner. I used homemade vegetable stock (instead of the chicken stock called for in the recipe) – after I washed the vegetables I trimmed them, and added some garlic, herbs and freshly ground pepper, and simmered them in water for about an hour while I fixed the rest of the dinner. To finish out the Colcannon, I didn’t use the bacon because I don’t eat pork, and I forgot to add the milk – and it was still great.

Menu
Steamed brussels sprouts (from our garden)
Potato Leek Cabbage Colcannon (from Klesick CSA NW box)
Bread (also included in Klesicks box)
Golden Glen Creamery butter (Bow)
Wild salmon roast, baked

Colcannon Soup with Potatoes, Leeks and Cabbage
Makes six 1 cup servings
Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter
1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
1 ½ cups cabbage, cored and shredded
1 pound red or Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cut in ¾ inch chunks
2 small leeks, white parts only, cleaned and sliced in thin disks 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
¼ teaspoon nutmeg or to taste
¾ cup milk
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
4 strips bacon, cooked nad crumbled for garnish (optional)


Directions
1. Place the butter in a 3-quart saucepan and melt it over medium heat. Add olive oil, and ¼ cup of water then the potatoes, cabbage and leeks. Cook over low heat, covered, about 10 minutes. The potatoes should be firm but almost cooked.
2. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, covered, about 15 minutes. The potatoes should be fully cooked but not falling apart.
3. Grate the nutmeg and correct the seasoning with salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir in the milk and parsley.
4. Serve immediately, garnished with the bacon if desired, or refrigerate, covered, up to a day.
Note: like most soups, this one seems to improve if made up to a day ahead. To reheat, place over medium heat and warm, stirring gently, to serving temperature. Be careful not to allow the potatoes to start to break down when reheating.
From www.stephencooks.com

Not local: salt, pepper, olive oil,

No comments:

Post a Comment